9.16.2014

Scottish Referendum: YES vs NO

I was lucky enough to visit my home country of Scotland this summer and something I got to experience was the impact of the controversial referendum vote on Scottish independence. It is only a few days away now on September the 18th and currently it is too close to call. Issues are very complex and will affect the entire British Isles.

As I made my way around Scotland, I noticed the 'YES' campaign as being very outspoken and pushy. There were many loud colorful signs and even a merchandise shop which promoted the idea of Scottish independence.




While the ‘NO Thanks’ campaign seemed much more restrained. I noticed subtle signs across Scotland that were not as aggressive but still made a statement that there were campaigning against voting for independence. 


But, as many Scots consider voting to be a very private personal matter, many are not likely to reveal what they will vote and may vote no.


Written by Altimont Parker, SUNY New Paltz Intern for Roots & Wings

No comments:

Post a Comment